Sometimes we Christians struggle with breaking the ice with people we are seeking to influence for Jesus Christ.
I recently re-read the book, Becoming a Person of Influence, by John Maxwell. Maxwell states that anyone whose life connects with other people is an influencer and stresses that this is not something that happens instantaneously but rather, occurs in stages. He identifies nine steps for connecting with people.
1. Don't take people for granted.You can connect with people and lead them only if you value them.
2. Possess a Make-a-Difference mindset.
3. Initiate movement toward them.
4. Look for common ground.
5. Recognize and respect differences in personality.
6. Find the key to other's lives.
7. Communicate from the heart.
8. Share common experiences.No one ever achieves alone what he can do when partnering with others.
9. Once connected, move forward.
The move forward? An invitation to a church funciton or an introduction to Jesus!